Nutrition for Athletes
We have many students on the Moravian University campus involved in Athletics. Athletes often have different nutrition needs than other students on campus - and athletes can have different nutrition needs based on what sport they play as well.
Meals and snacks are an essential part of an athlete’s training regimen. Resident dining in The Star offers numerous stations with a variety of dairy, fruits, grains, protein, and vegetables, where you can build your performance plate with your preferred ratio of carbohydrates, fat, and protein to maximize performance and speed recovery from training and competition. You may customize your entrée by requesting only protein and/or vegetables to add to other menu items. There are 3 or more protein choices per meal period – dairy, eggs, legumes and poultry are available every day; beef, pork, and seafood are in menu rotation. Our fresh salad bar has a colorful selection of leafy greens, hydrating veggies, legumes, and more to support digestive health, immunity, and recovery. Our self-serve beverage stations offer 20+ hydration choices to quench your thirst, including milk products and substitutes to replete energy, protein, potassium, and calcium. We also offer daily fruit and herb-infused water so students can hydrate sufficiently.
For a variety of whole grains, legumes, grilled chicken and vegetables, try Simple Servings. Athletes love Simple Servings balanced menu options that include lean protein like fish, chicken, lean beef and pork. Grilled chicken and brown rice are available every day, and a second protein option rotates from meal to meal. Their house-made dressings complement their daily mixed green salads. Simple Servings is also allergy friendly and allows student athletes with food allergies to the top 8 food allergens (milk, wheat, soy, eggs, shellfish, sesame, peanuts, tree nuts) and gluten to eat safely.
For our athletes concerned about tracking their food intake or macro and micro-nutrients, our menu app, Everyday, gives student athletes access to nutritional information and ingredients of our menu items.
All students on campus have access to our Registered Dietitian, Sue Hurd, RDN LDN. She has a passion for leading a healthy lifestyle and empowering people of all ages to reach their healthiest potential through food and nutrition and is available for free consultations.
We know that teams are often practicing late, have a game outside of our dining hours, or are often heading out on a bus to go to away games and don't have as many options to use their meal swipes on those days. We've put together some options for teams and coaches so students can use their meal plans and have nutritious meals to-go on game days. Here are a few tips and tricks to get the most out of your meal plan for Athletic Hounds.
- Green 2 Go containers - students can opt-in to the program simply by buying a container ($6 large square, $5 soup/salad, $2 mug or $12 for all three). Then, use a meal swipe to fill it up and take it with you. Dining in? Swipe once for your dine-in meal and once for your to-go container when you leave.
- Pick 4 Fridge - want an extra Buffalo Chicken wrap to stash in the fridge at home, or snacks for after-practice? Come in any time The Star is open, grab 4 items from our fridge, swipe, and go. If you're dining in, feel free to grab whatever you like from the refrigerator to add to your meal.
- Check out our vending options in the Sally building (1st Floor), the ARC or in the HILL center (4th floor), for packaged sandwiches, snacks and salads that can be purchased with Dining Dollars. Options include protein-based snacks like cheese cups, as well as chicken-based wraps and fruit. We also stock the machines with popular athletic drinks and water. Items from our vending machines are payable with Dining Dollars and Hound Bucks, or credit and debit.
- Students can order Athletic Meals to Go bagged meals in advance using their meal swipes and pick up at their convenience from The Star.
- Coaches may arrange catered meals for teams in advance by contacting our Catering department at 610-861-1174, or emailing email@example.com.
- To order meals for your teams during breaks, use the Athletic Break Meals order form linked here. Students can use meal swipes to pay for their meals, and all students without meal plans will be charged to your department charge.
- Order meals for your team in advance by contacting Catering at 610-861-1474, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or placing an order on moravianuniversity.catertrax.com
- Tons of cost-effective options like pizza, bagged meals with sandwiches & sides, hot entrees, snacks, and beverages.
- We'll bring the food to you and set it up, along with utensils, napkins, cups and plates.
- Download informational flyer here.